Use of Tuition Statement
All need-based financial aid shown above is supported solely through tuition receipts.
- Academic & Institutional Support – funds academic and operational administration including university leadership and business functions such as finance, human resources, and legal services
- Instruction – primarily faculty salaries and benefits, supports all aspects of the direct academic mission of the university
- Need-Based Financial Aid – provides tuition-related aid to students with a demonstrated financial need
- Student Services – encompasses the student-related administrative needs of the university including admissions, registrar, academic counseling, and career counseling
- Operation & Maintenance (O&M) of Plant and Other Expenses – contributes to the operation and maintenance of the physical plant, utilities, and IT infrastructure
(Entering Fall 2017 or Earlier)
(Entering Fall 2018 or Later)
Regular Term Full-Time Tuition
|$6,881.00||$7,019.00||$34,198.00||Annual full-time tuition rate|
|Athletics||$279.00||$279.00||$279.00||Funds intercollegiate athletics, including salaries and team operations|
|Educational & Technology||$442.30||$442.30||$442.30||Funds specialized instructional supplies and services for scientific and information technology equipment.|
|Health Services||$400.15||$400.15||$400.15||Funds medical services for students, including the salaries, maintenance and operation of student health centers|
|Student Activities||$394.16||$394.16||$394.16||Funds non-academic student services (student unions, intramural facilities, student organizations, newspapers, yearbooks, and entertainment programs).|
|Campus Security Fee||$30.00||$30.00||$30.00||Funds campus safety and security initiatives, including salaries, training, and operations.|
|Debt Service||$185.85||$185.85||$185.85||Funds the principal and interest for capital projects. Examples for UNC-Chapel Hill include the Rams Head Recreation Center, Student Dining, Student Union, and IM fields.|
|Total Tuition and Fees||$8,612.46||$8,750.46||$35,929.46|
*Beginning in August 2017, resident undergraduate tuition will be frozen for students who remain continuously enrolled for eight semesters. Nonresident undergraduate tuition for students continuously enrolled since 2017-18 will be $33,889.
In the year ended June 30, 2019, UNC-Chapel Hill received approximately $499 million in appropriations from the North Carolina General Assembly, providing an additional $24,132 towards the total cost of education for each resident student.