Installment Payment Plans
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has partnered with Nelnet Campus Commerce to offer a payment plan allowing you to spread your educational expenses over monthly installments. Nelnet does not have access to specific UNC-Chapel Hill student account information due to FERPA regulations.
Authorized User/Proxy Access for Nelnet Payers
Even if you are an authorized user/proxy within the UNC system, access must still be granted by the student to setup an authorized payer within Nelnet Campus Commerce. Once you have been given access to the student’s Nelnet account, you will receive an email with a link to set up a payment plan.
The Office of the University Cashier can only provide specific account information to the student, unless the parent or Nelnet payer is listed as an Authorized User or Proxy in our system. Authorized Users/Proxies have their own access to the student account, can receive specific account information and receive the UNC monthly billing statements by logging into the Authorized User/Proxy portal.
Please visit the Nelnet Campus Commerce website for more information on setting up a payment plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have a balance from a previous semester. Can I enroll in the payment plan?
- Payment plans are for the current and upcoming semester charges only. Charges from a previous semester must be paid directly to UNC-Chapel Hill.
- How do I determine the Amount Due (payment plan budget amount)?
- To determine the amount due, take the cost of tuition and fees, housing (if any), meal/flex plans (if any) and subtract the amount of financial aid (grants, loans, scholarships) and any other outside payments (example payments from 529 plans or extended family). This should give you a close Amount Due budget amount.
The Office of Scholarships and Student Aid’s Estimated Cost of Attendance page may help with the figures, but remember, this is an ESTIMATED Cost of Attendance.
- Nelnet does not have access to a student’s bill. Your Nelnet plan is set up for the payment plan amount you authorize.
- If you need assistance setting up the budget, please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will continue to receive monthly billing statements from UNC.
- Although there is a due date listed on the billing statement, please continue to make your monthly payments to Nelnet.
- Please compare the bill with your Nelnet account to make sure you will not overpay the account or owe additional funds.
- Past due balances and other charges such as campus health and library fines are not eligible for the installment payment plan. Students must pay these amounts directly to the Cashier’s Office by the due date listed on the billing statement.
- The Cashier’s Office may decrease your Nelnet budget or cancel your payment plan early to avoid an overpayment on your student account.
- If there is an overpayment through Nelnet, refunds will be issued after the last payment plan due date for the term and your payment plan is paid in full.
- Nelnet users can increase/decrease the budget plan for the semester by logging into your Nelnet account online or contacting Nelnet at 800-609-8056 to request the adjustment.
Before separating from UNC-Chapel Hill, it is expected that your student account be paid in full.
Individuals no longer enrolled at the University with an outstanding account balance over 30 days past due are subject to collection processes. Once the collection process begins, students are notified by letter that they have an outstanding balance with the University. A second collections letter is sent 30 days after the first letter.
A HOLD is placed on the student’s account to prevent registration, obtaining transcripts and/or diploma until the balance is paid in full, as required by the State of North Carolina. There are no exceptions to releasing holds with students who have an outstanding balance with the university.
The University does not accept settlement offers on debts owed.
Monthly payment plans are available to students whose accounts have been placed in collections.
|Up to $999||Six Month Payment Plan|
|$1,000 – $2,999||12 Month Payment Plan|
|$3,000 – $4,999||18 Month Payment Plan|
|$5,000 or more||24 Month Payment Plan|
Request a summary of the debt if you do not know why you have a balance due.Payment Plan Request Form
Please call 919-962-1368 or email email@example.com if you have questions about your student account in collections.
CCI Laptop Grant Repayment
We collect repayment of grants when a student who received a CCI Laptop grant leaves the University before graduating. Students who do not return the laptop will be billed for the grant repayable amount after they leave the University.
You can return your laptop to the ITS Response Center to fulfill your requirement or you can mail your computer along with all the parts and accessories to:CCI Program Manager
440 W. Franklin St.
ITS-Franklin, CB 1150
Chapel Hill NC 27599-1150
It is highly recommended you insure and track your computer shipment.