The Office of the University Cashier generates the 1098-T and 1098-E tax forms each year in January.
Our office cannot provide any tax advice, only confirm and explain what we have reported. For more information about your ability to claim a tax deduction or tax credit, contact a tax professional. Also, you can visit the Internal Revenue Service’s web site at www.irs.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the 1098-T?
- The IRS requires the University to issue Form 1098-T, “Tuition Payments Statement,” to each student by Jan. 31. Form 1098-T is an information tax document to aid taxpayers in determining whether they are eligible to claim a tax deduction or one of the education tax credits on their federal income tax return.
- How do I access my 1098-T form?
Students can access their 1098-T form by logging in to Connect Carolina, clicking the Student Center tile, and using drop-down menu under the Student Financials section about halfway down the page. Select “View 1098T” and click the arrow button. The YEAR listed is a hyperlink to the form for that year.
If you are a student and also an employee on campus or a Proxy, you can switch to the Student page using the white arrow in the top center of the home page, and Student Center will be an option. In the drop-down menu under the Student Financials section about halfway down the page, select “View 1098T” and click the arrow button. The YEAR listed is a hyperlink to the form for that year.
Alumni can establish guest access on Connect Carolina to access their 1098-T forms. Once you have given the system time to populate your student account information, log back into Connect Carolina, you can switch to the Student page using the white arrow in the top center of the home page, and Student Center will be an option. In the drop-down menu under the Student Financials section, select “View 1098T” and click the arrow button. The YEAR listed is a hyperlink to the form for that year.
- Go to Connect Carolina
- Using the white arrow at the top, Click Student page
- Under Student Financials section, select “View 1098T”
It takes approximately 24 hours for your student account information to populate into the Guest ID account. You will need to create the account and log back in later to access your student account information.
- What do I do if my SSN or name is incorrect?
- The University Cashier will issue a W-9S requesting a correct SSN if the one on file is missing (or incorrect according to the IRS). If you receive one from our office, please complete it and return it to the Registrar’s Office in person or via the fax number on the form. Please complete Parts I and III (enter your 10-digit PID under “Tuition account number” in Part III) of the IRS form available online and return it to the Office of the University Registrar in person, by fax or by mail, using the following contact information:
Office of the University Registrar
Campus Box 2100
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Office location: Third floor of SASB North
Fax: 919-962-1655For security reasons, please do not send the completed form by email.
- I’m a student employee, what are other forms to be aware of?
- The University Cashier only issues Form 1098-T and 1098-E. Here are some other helpful forms:
Form W-4 and NC-4: Tells your employer how much federal and state taxes to withhold from each paycheck. As your employer, UNC-Chapel Hill will remit the tax withheld from each paycheck to the IRS and state of North Carolina on your behalf. These forms are to be completed online after your first day via the Self Service tab in ConnectCarolina. Visit Payroll Services for more information.
Form W-2: A statement of your earnings produced by UNC-Chapel Hill each January to show how much you earned during the previous calendar year and how much was withheld in taxes from your paycheck. You need your W-2 form to file federal and state tax returns. Your W-2 will be mailed out by University Payroll during the month of January, typically during the last week of the month. You can also opt-out of receiving a paper W-2 in which case you will access the form electronically in Connect Carolina. Visit Finance and Budget for more details and instructions on how to opt-out of receiving a paper W-2.
Form 1099-M: The Accounts Payable office issues this form to report any payment via their office, such as a stipend for work performed on a grant, for the calendar year.
Form 1042-S: This is a statement of earnings for international students who have declared a tax treaty during the previous calendar year. It reports earnings which were exempt under the tax treaty. International students whose earnings exceeded their country’s treaty limit will receive both a Form 1042S and a Form W-2 and should not file a tax return until they have received both forms. Form 1042-S are sent out by Payroll Services by mid-March.