Applying Aid to Other Charges

Log in to the the ConnectCarolina Student Center, select “View Permissions” from the drop-down menu in the Finances Section. Click on “Grant Permission” then follow the instructions.

Note:  This allows us to use your financial aid to pay for other current charges, but not for prior year charges greater than $200.

Title IV Federal Financial Aid Restrictions

The U.S. Department of Education (DOE) requires all institutions to follow certain guidelines if a student’s Title IV funds create a credit on the student’s Cashier’s account. Title IV funds include Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Direct Subsidized Loans, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Federal Perkins Loans and Federal Grad PLUS loans.  When a school applies Title IV funds to a student’s account and determines that the amount of funds exceeds the charges for that term, the school must pay the credit balance directly to the student (or to the parent if it is a PLUS Loan) if Title IV funds create a credit.

Federal student financial aid can only cover “institutional charges” as defined by the DOE. This definition includes current year charges for tuition and fees, as well as on-campus room and board. Unless authorization is received, federal financial aid cannot be used to cover non-institutional charges such as: Campus Health fees, library fines, damage fees, returned check fees, lost key fees or any other charges not directly tied to taking a class.