Loan Account Payments
You may make payments to ECSI by mail, online their website, using their EasyPath mobile app (for iOS and Android), over the phone with a ECSI customer advocate, and through bill pay services. Please note that service fees apply to some, but not all payment methods. For more information, see additional fee information below. ECSI does not charge for payments received by mail or recurring ACH payments. Any service fee will be disclosed to you before you authorize your payment.
To view the current payment fees, please visit ECSI, then click on Managing Your Student Loan Account.
- By Mail
- ECSI accepts checks and money orders. Please include your Heartland Key or last four of your Payment Reference Number in the memo field on your check or money order. Make your check payable to your school and mail to: UNC Chapel Hill c/o ECSI, P.O. Box 718, Wexford, PA 15090.
- ECSI accepts one-time and recurring online payments via ACH and debit/credit card. ECSI accepts MasterCard and Discover cards. We also accept Visa debit cards, but not Visa credit cards. We do not accept American Express.
- Mobile App
- ECSI accepts payments via our EasyPath mobile app. Our mobile app is available for Apple or Android phones. The Apple mobile app can be downloaded at The App Store (iTunes). The Android app can be downloaded at the Google Play store. We accept the same payments on our mobile app as accepted online.
- ECSI also accepts one-time and recurring ACH and debit/credit card payments over the phone. Please call us toll free at (888) 549-3274, Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern time to make a payment.
- Bill Pay
- ECSI accepts payments through your bank or other third party bill pay service.
- AmeriCorps Payment Requests: Select ECSI as the Institution when submitting an AmeriCorps payment request.
Late fees are assessed in accordance with your promissory note. To avoid late fees, please ensure ECSI receives your payment on or before your due date. If you have any questions about late fees or payment posting, please contact an ECSI Customer Advocate.
Rejected Payment/Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) Fees
Any payments refused by the payer bank because inaccurate bank account information was provided, insufficient funds or a closed account, are subject to a $25.00 returned payment fee. To avoid fees, please confirm that your checking or savings account has sufficient funds and that your bank account information is correct before submitting your payment. Please note that failure to submit payment for the full amount due by your payment due date will result in a late fee as described above. If you have any questions about fees, please contact a ECSI Customer Advocate.
Many of the long term loans we service feature cancellation and deferment benefits. Please refer to the Promissory Note and other loan documents for details or contact us directly.
When you are unable to make your regular monthly payment, contact ECSI at (888) 549-3274 as soon as possible to discuss your options. There are several deferment/forbearance options available to you:
- Unemployment Deferment
- When you’re unemployed but seeking employment, there are several ways you may qualify for an unemployment deferment. These deferments defer both principal and interest.
- Economic Hardship Deferment
- When you’re employed but making insufficient income to cover your regular monthly expenses, including your loan payment to us. There are stipulations and certain requirements to be able to qualify for this type of deferment. This deferment also defers both principal and interest.
- Similar to economic hardship deferments, except that the requirements to qualify are much lower, and only principal is deferred. Interest continues to accrue and must be paid.
- AmeriCorps Forbearance
- Select ECSI as the Institution when submitting an AmeriCorps forbearance request.
The Federal Perkins Loan Program offers a benefit called loan cancellation for eligible participants. A percentage of the Perkins Loan balance may be cancelled for each complete year of service. The total percentage of the loan that may be cancelled depends on the type of service performed. If you are eligible for loan cancellation, monthly payments may be deferred while you complete the required service.
The benefit applies to individuals who perform certain types of public service or are employed full time in certain occupations.
- Volunteer in the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA program
- Teacher in a Title 1 school or an educational service agency that serves students from low income families or a special education teacher
- Teacher of math, science, foreign languages, bilingual education, or other fields designated as teacher shortage areas
- Member of the U.S. armed forces (serving in a hostile fire or imminent danger pay area that is different than the normal duty station)
- Licensed nurse or medical technician
- Law enforcement, corrections officer, or district attorney
- Staff member in the educational component of a Head Start program
- Employee of a nonprofit child or family services agency providing services to high risk children from low income communities
- Professional provider of early intervention services for disabled children
For service that began on or after August 14, 2008:
- Staff member in a prekindergarten or child care program that is licensed or regulated by a state
- Speech pathologist with a master’s degree working in a Title 1 eligible school
- Librarian with a master’s degree working in a Title 1 eligible school or in a public library serving Title 1 eligible schools
- Attorney employed in a federal public or community defender organization
- Faculty member at a tribal college or university
More information is available on the Federal Student Aid website.
- Will my 1098-E be mailed to me?
- If you paid more than $600.00 in interest, we will mail your 1098-E form to you or you can access the information online. If you paid less than $600 in interest, it will be available online only.
- How do I the access 1098-E tax form online?
- At the end of January each year, you may access your 1098-E form online by logging on to ECSI’s website.