Loan Account Payments
Loan account payments are due monthly by the first of each month. The due date cannot be changed.
Payments may be made paying online from your checking account through the ECSI website for a fee, by signing up for bank draft (no fee) or by sending a check through the mail. Please include the PID on the check and make checks payable to Loan Repayment Services.
Our mailing address is:
Loan Repayment Services
2215 SASB North, CB 1400
450 Ridge Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1400
We do not accept payments by phone or credit/debit cards.
Please contact our office promptly if you have trouble making your payment or if you have any questions about cancellation and deferment options.
Many of the long term loans we service feature cancellation and deferment benefits. Please refer to the Promissory Note and other loan documents for details or contact us directly.
When you are unable to make your regular monthly payment, contact the Loan Repayment Office as soon as possible to discuss your options. There are several deferment/forbearance options available to you:
- Unemployment Deferment – When you’re unemployed but seeking employment, there are several ways you may qualify for an unemployment deferment. These deferments defer both principal and interest.
- Economic Hardship Deferment – When you’re employed but making insufficient income to cover your regular monthly expenses, including your loan payment to us. There are stipulations and certain requirements to be able to qualify for this type of deferment. This deferment also defers both principal and interest.
- Forbearance – Similar to economic hardship deferments, except that the requirements to qualify are much lower, and only principal is deferred. Interest continues to accrue and must be paid.
The Federal Perkins Loan Program offers a benefit called loan cancellation for eligible participants. A percentage of the Perkins Loan balance may be cancelled for each complete year of service. The total percentage of the loan that may be cancelled depends on the type of service performed. If you are eligible for loan cancellation, monthly payments may be deferred while you complete the required service.
The benefit applies to individuals who perform certain types of public service or are employed full time in certain occupations.
- Volunteer in the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA program
- Teacher in a Title 1 school or an educational service agency that serves students from low income families or a special education teacher
- Teacher of math, science, foreign languages, bilingual education, or other fields designated as teacher shortage areas
- Member of the U.S. armed forces (serving in a hostile fire or imminent danger pay area that is different than the normal duty station)
- Licensed nurse or medical technician
- Law enforcement, corrections officer, or district attorney
- Staff member in the educational component of a Head Start program
- Employee of a nonprofit child or family services agency providing services to high risk children from low income communities
- Professional provider of early intervention services for disabled children
For service that began on or after August 14, 2008
- Staff member in a prekindergarten or child care program that is licensed or regulated by a state
- Speech pathologist with a master’s degree working in a Title 1 eligible school
- Librarian with a master’s degree working in a Title 1 eligible school or in a public library serving Title 1 eligible schools
- Attorney employed in a federal public or community defender organization
- Faculty member at a tribal college or university
More information is available in the Perkins Loan Cancellation and Discharge section of https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation.