You must keep UNC-CH Loan Repayment Services informed of any email, mailing address, phone number or name changes.

All payments are due on the first business day of each month with or without a statement.  The due date cannot be changed.

We do not accept loan payments by phone or loan payments made by credit/debit cards.

  • Can I access my loan account online? Yes, you can access your account by going to ECSI’s website.  The school code for UNC-Chapel Hill is J6.  Your account number is your PID.  If you receive monthly statements, your login information is located at the bottom of every statement or you may call our office at 919-962-6824 or email for your password.
  • I have entered my account number on the ECSI website. Why does it say the account is not valid? Make sure you are using your PID for the account number.  If this does not fix the issue, make sure your web browser is Internet Explorer.  If you are still having issues, please email us at
  • How can I update my address? You can update your address online by going to ECSI’s website. The school code for UNC-Chapel Hill is J6.  Your account number is your PID.  You may call our office at 919-962-6824 or send an email to for your password.
  • I made my payment online through the ECSI website, why is it not appearing in my account? Payments made online are posted to your loan account after two business days.  There is usually a two-day delay in displaying the payment online.
  • When do I start repaying my loan? It depends on what type of loan you have. The exit interview you complete will show you when repayment begins on the loan(s).
  • Can I prepay on my loan?  You may prepay all or any portion of the principal plus any accrued interest at any time. If you remit more than the amount due for an installment, the excess will be applied to principal unless you designate it as an advance payment on the next regular installment.
  • What is the interest rate on my Perkins loan?  Is it a fixed rate? The interest rate on a Federal Perkins loan is fixed at 5%.
  • How is my Perkins loan different from my Stafford/Direct loan (grace period, paid back directly to lender, etc.)? UNC-Chapel Hill is the lender on the Federal Perkins Loan and is paid back to UNC-Chapel Hill.  Once you drop below half time status as a student, you must complete an exit interview and initially you will have a nine-month grace period before payments begin.
  • Who do I make my loan payments to and where should the payment be mailed? Please make sure to include your PID on the payment and make it payable to Loan Repayment Services. It should be mailed to:
    Loan Repayment Services
    2215 SASB North, CB #1400
    450 Ridge Road
    Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1400
  • What forms of payment do you accept?
    • Cash – In person only.
    • Checks, money order or cashier’s checks – please be sure to include your PID and make payable to Loan Repayment Services.
    • Online – – ECSI charges a $1.00 fee per transaction.
    • Automatic bank draft withdrawal – There are no transaction fees to use this option. To sign up for this option, please complete the bank draft form.

    At this time, we do not accept credit or debit cards for loan payments.

  • How long after I pay my account in full do I get a paid-in-full letter? Paid in full letters are mailed out approximately 45 to 60 days after the date the loan was paid in full.
  • Do you charge a fee for returned items? Yes, North Carolina state regulations require agencies to charge and collect a processing fee not to exceed $25 for each returned item (N.C.G.S. § 25-3-506).
  • I am having difficulty making my loan payments. Is there anything you can do to help me? List of deferment forms. Once we receive the completed paperwork, we will send you a letter letting you know if you have been approved for this type of deferment.
  • My account is with a collection agency; how do I contact them? Please call our office at 919-962-6824 or email us at  Please visit our page on Delinquent Loan Accounts for the collection agencies contact information.
  • If my account is turned over to a collection agency or an attorney, do I have the opportunity to negotiate with UNC-Chapel Hill?  No, you must deal directly with the agency or attorney.
  • How can I find out if I qualify for loan cancellation? For Federal Perkins loans only, you can use this table on our loan servicer’s website.
    Loan cancellation forms.
  • I will be enrolling at least half time. Do I qualify for a student deferment? You might qualify for a student deferment. Student deferment form. You need to complete sections 1-3, and the Registrar at the school you are attending needs to certify section 4 and mail it back to our office.
  • Will my 1098-E be mailed to me?  If you paid more than $600.00 in interest, we will mail your 1098-E form to you or you can access the information online. If you paid less than $600 in interest, it will be available online only.
  • How do I the access 1098-E tax form online?
    At the end of January each year, you may access your 1098-E form online by logging on to ECSI’s website. The amount of interest you paid for the prior year will be on your monthly billing statement for the months of February, March and April.